Best apple pie EVER
This was my first pie I have ever baked and man did it turn out amazing!! Apple pie is seriously my favorite, I look forward to eating so much of it during the holidays, so I decided why not try and make one myself. This recipe is super simple and sooo delicious, I especially loved weaving the lattice crust. If you’re also a first timer, I put instructions below for that too. Happy baking friends!!!
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4-5 Granny Smith apples – peeled, cored and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Melt your butter in a saucepan.
- Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
- Place your pie crust in the bottom of your pan. (I used the Betty Crocker pie crust mix, that way you can also use it for your lattice crust)
- Fill your pan with the apple slices.
- Cover your apples with a lattice crust. (If you don’t know how to do a lattice crust, see instructions below)
- Once your sauce has thickened, gently pour it evenly over the crust.
- Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350°F and continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.
How to weave a lattice crust:
- Roll out your pie dough and extend it beyond the rim of the pie dish by about half an inch.
- Cut the dough into even strips, 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch wide, depending on how thick you want your lattice strips.
- Lay out 4 to 7 parallel strips of the pie dough, depending on how thick your strips are, on top of the filling, with about 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch space between them.
- Fold back every other strip.
- Place one long strip of dough perpendicular to the parallel strips as shown. Then, unfold the folded strips over the perpendicular strip.
- Now, take the parallel strips that are running underneath the perpendicular strip and fold them back over the perpendicular strip.
- Lay down a second perpendicular strip of dough next to the first strip, then unfold the folded parallel strips over the second strip.
- Continue this process until the weave is complete over the top of the pie.
- Firmly secure the edges all around the pie. (I used a fork to also add a pattern to it)